Clicks13

The story of the Milk Grotto told in an exhibition

CMC The Chapel of the Grotto of the Milk also simply called Grotto of the Milk or Grotto of Our Lady (in Latin: Crypta lactea; in Arabic: مغارةآلسثئ) is the name that receives a Catholic religious …More
CMC The Chapel of the Grotto of the Milk also simply called Grotto of the Milk or Grotto of Our Lady (in Latin: Crypta lactea; in Arabic: مغارةآلسثئ) is the name that receives a Catholic religious building that is located in the city of Bethlehem in West Bank in the Palestinian Territories, specifically in the Judean desert. Since ancient times, the place has been a Christian pilgrimage center, owned by the Custody of the Holy Land, a Marian sanctuary, and a monastery church of the Franciscan order.

Christian tradition affirms that it is the place where the Holy Family found refuge during the slaughter of the innocent, before they could flee to Egypt. The name is derived from the story that a drop of milk of the Virgin Mary fell on the floor of the cave and changed its color to white.

Instead, a Byzantine church was built around the 5th century, of which only part of the mosaic remains on the floor of the current Catholic church. The current structure was built in 1872.

The space actually has three different caves or caves.