Lourdes Will Finally Cover All Rupnik Mosaics
The mosaics by Marko Rupnik at the Sanctuary of Lourdes will be fully covered in the coming weeks and will remain hidden permanently after Pope Leo XIV’s visit, Bishop Jean-Marc Micas of Tarbes and Lourdes told French newspaper LaDepeche.fr on August 20.
Only some of the mosaics, including those on the basilica’s doors, were covered in March 2025.
The sanctuary had previously stopped illuminating Rupnik’s works during its nightly processions in 2024.
Rupnik is a Slovenian priest and artist promoted by the Vatican for decades. He has been accused by around two dozen women of sexual, spiritual and psychological abuse. An ongoing canonical case concerning the allegations is being drawn out in the Vatican.
Bishop Micas has previously said that the continued public display of Rupnik’s work at Lourdes can cause particular pain to victims of abuse who visit the sanctuary.
#newsSevwzxkaei
The bishop who oversees the Shrine of Our Lady of Lourdes in France has said the popular Catholic pilgrimage site will cover all of its mosaics by disgraced priest Father Marko Rupnik ahead of Pope Leo XIV’s visit next month.
Pope Leo XIV's visit to Lourdes: all of Marko Rupnik's controversial mosaics will be covered and "will remain so after his arrival," the bishop affirms